Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Címet.

Parliament - 3rd largest in the world
Chain Bridge - 1st bridge to connect Buda & Pest
BUDAPEST IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! It's a lovely city divided into 2 parts by the Danube River (2nd most important river in Europe) where the left side is Buda & the right is Pest (pronounced pesht). I was a bit skeptical as I walked the hour hike to my hostel to the heart of the city, but it's beaming with life. As soon as I stepped out of the train station, I saw the colorful, detailed buildings lined along the streets...Starbucks, my lifesaver thanks to free wifi, was nearby to provide a map to my destination. The area seemed a bit rundown at first even with the beautiful architecture, but as I got closer to Carpe Noctem, the liveliness was beaming.

1st statue since democracy in 1989
Home of St. Stephen's hand on display
I arrived at the hostel address, but couldn't find where it was exactly, so I found a McDonalds, reaffirmed I had gone to the right place, went back to find some secret entrance, found the hostel, & my first thought was run. I buzzed the guy upstairs who let me in, but the entryway & stairwell were pitchblack. It's exactly what you would expect in horror movies...beautiful architecture & stairs, but the killer waiting for you at the top in the deep, dark, quiet. Every step closer to the top of the stairwell reminded me of the horror movie Hostel. Yeah. Once I made it inside the hostel on the top floor, the guy at reception informed me that older people live in the building so it stays quiet. They're not allowed to post signs out front because of some historical yada yada with the building.

Entertained me
Luckily I get to spend my 3 nights with 4 other guys, but the atmosphere is laid back with everyone gathered in the common area. I woke up in time to catch the free walking tour of the city for a few hours & then explored on my own for a bit. Just like Paris, this city reminds me of Boston in that it's completely walkable & has something to do or see at every corner. Buda is elevated giving a breathtaking view of Pest on the other side of the river. I have a confession...I'm quite embarrassed to admit it, but I've broken my McDonald's boycott of 6 years. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE begging me to eat their inconveniently timed affordable food while using free wifi! I saw some of my kind in there though (other Bostonians) so I blended in perfectly.

Pretty Buda
For anyone wondering why I haven't mailed postcards yet, I've written about 15 of them since I left, but I haven't found (or actively looked) for a post office. You will get them one day, I promise! Only a few more hours until I get to enjoy a full day at the thermal spring baths in the park...I've got a murder mystery novel & sunburn waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment