Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Bonjour France!

...huh?
As soon as I step off the bus that took me into town, I see this boy who looks like he’s no older than 15 smoking and pushing a baby carriage. Oh France. Cherbourg is a beautiful city that has colorful buildings squished together. Behind the city is a huge hill covered in trees with small houses popping out of them. Very picturesque. I started to become a little uneasy since I don’t speak a lick of French & my iTranslator on my iPhone is touring somewhere in Ireland.

Monsieur Seagull eating dinner
What do I do? Follow the sign that says “Office de tourism.” There I met Frenchman Houvi who told me all sorts of his traveling experiences in his thick, French accent, but he never got upset at me asking him to repeat things. Houvi set a Guinness world record in 1995 by tricycling somewhere for something (I couldn’t catch that part). We parted ways, & since I couldn’t find a Starbucks in the area for the free wifi, I decided it’s time for Paris!

The scenery is almost indescribable…plenty of trees, fields full of horses, & cute homes are flying by while I hang out on the train for the next 3 hours. I won’t get to Paris until about 9 pm (6 hours ahead of the US now), so I’m a bit worried about my sleeping arrangements since I don’t have wifi, but I’m sure I’ll find a hostel nearby. I’ll be spending the next few days enjoying Paris before my next destination. It just occurred to me that I haven’t seen a pickup truck since I’ve flown in.

Cherbourg, France

No comments:

Post a Comment